Group Fitness Instructor
STARTING SALARY: $20.00/hour (higher rates based on experience)
STATUS: Part Time/Non-Exempt
Works directly with the fitness coordinator to engage and retain members by achieving their health and wellness goals in a group exercise setting through creative and professionally designed classes appropriate to the fitness level of participants in the class.
Preferred Practices: Yoga, Water Aerobics, SPIN instruction, & Strength Training.
- Lead group fitness classes. To positively influence and improve the fitness of everyone.
- Be prepared for class and have all equipment and music prepared ahead of time.
- To help participants grow, develop specific skills, and through the participation in a fitness activity increase their confidence and self-esteem.
- Select appropriate music for the Maui Family YMCA classes.
- To be familiar with and properly use any group fitness equipment including stereo.
- Dress appropriately for your classes; revealing clothing is not acceptable.
- Responsible for finding your own substitute when you are unable to lead your class. Supervisor must be notified 4 hours prior to start of class.
- Required to keep all certifications up to date.
- Record time worked accurately on time sheets and hand in by required deadlines.
- You are responsible for the safety of the participants in your class.
- Know emergency procedures, report accidents/injuries or broken equipment and complete accident reports as needed.
- Perform CPR and/ or First Aid as needed.
- Supervisor must be notified of incases of extreme emergencies when class must be cancelled.
- To exemplify the YMCA’s core values of Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Caring.
- Assume responsibility for all facilities, equipment and supplies of the site.
- Assist in association events, campaign, health fairs, school demonstrations.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Holds a group fitness certification by a recognized certifying organization (ACE, AFAA, ACSM)
- For Yoga Instructors: Must be a certified Yoga Instructor with a recognized yoga certification
- Holds a certification in CPR / First Aid /AED
- Ability to communicate well
- Free Family Membership at the Maui YMCA
- 50% discount on all Y Programming on top of member discount
- Access to one of the best retirement plans available on the market today
- Reports to the Fitness Coordinator
Maui Family YMCA Mission Statement: To enhance the quality of life for individuals, families, and our community through programs that foster moral growth and build a healthy spirit, body mind and body for all.