SALARY RANGE: $15.00 – $20.00/hour (based on experience)
STATUS: Part Time/Non-Exempt
Responsible for the safety of members, program participants and patrons using the Maui Family YMCA aquatic facility. Serves as a representative of the YMCA by providing quality customer service, while meeting all standards and expectations.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of pool policies and procedures including pool maintenance, first aid and CPR.
- Uniformly enforces all pool rules and procedures.
- Always follows the life guarding scanning procedures.
- Remains alert and attentive throughout your shift.
- Wear rescue tube & whistle at the times.
- Sits in an elevated lifeguard chair or patrols at the edge of the pool.
- Remains aware of visibility issues and rotates positions accordingly.
- Checks pool for any foreign matter on opening, closing and throughout the day.
- Makes rescues, coordinates emergency procedures and administers first aid as necessary.
- Communicates with members regarding pool activities and specialty classes; develop relationships with members:
- Knows pool schedule (classes and activities)
- Keeps members informed of daily and upcoming events in the pool
- Maintains positive relations and rapport with patrons
- Keeps accurate count of pool usage and record on appropriate forms.
- Report any malfunctioning/broken/missing equipment to supervisor.
- Responsible for finding own substitute when unable to fulfil your shift. Supervisor must be notified of any changes to schedules no later than 4 hours prior to start of shift.
- Required to keep all certifications up to date, allowing no lapse in certifications.
- Record time worked accurately on timesheets and hand in by required deadlines.
- Know emergency procedures, report accidents/injuries or broken equipment and complete accident reports as needed.
- Perform CPR and/or First Aid as needed
- Supervisor must be notified in cases of extreme emergencies when the pool must be closed prior to closing the pool.
- Attend staff meetings.
- To exemplify the YMCA’s core values of honesty, respect, responsibility and caring.
- Assume responsibility for all facilities, equipment and supplies of the site
- Assist in association events, campaigns fair and school demonstrations.
- Other duties as assigned
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, AED and Oxygen Administration
- Child Abuse Prevention Training
- Current group fitness certifications
- Patience and the ability to communicate with all ages and levels of students, parents and caregivers, and other Y staff and volunteers
- Job requires physical activity.
- Occasional lifting is required. 3. During regular work duties you may encounter blood borne pathogens.
- All Lifeguard, CPR, and First Aid certifications provided by the Y at no cost to the applicant if hired
- Free Family Membership at the Maui YMCA
- 50% discount on all Y Programming on top of member discount
- Access to one of the best retirement plans available on the market today
For more information regarding this position, feel free to contact our Aquatics Coordinator, Anelise, at [email protected].