A Collaborative Career Exploration Youth Program
Students will get behind the scenes tours and meet a variety of experts and leaders, exploring varying career paths and economic industries in Maui County. A free, one week program full of excursions and reflections.
Entering 9th Grade to 1 year out of High School
Summer Session: July 10th – July 14th, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM (REGISTRATION CLOSED)
Fall Session: October 9th – 13th, 2023 (REGISTRATION OPENS 8/1/2023)
Registration for next session opens 8/1/2023
- Encourage and inspire participants to find a career path enabling them to work and live in Maui County, by exposing and introducing participants to the varying sectors, elements, and networks in Maui County.
Phase 1 - Week Long Youth Program (pilot)
Phase 2 - Long Term Mentoring (future)
Phase 1 - Week Long Youth Program
- Cohort of approximately 15
- YMCA facility is the home base
- Transport participants on excursions to varying locations that relate to career opportunities in Maui County or Hawaii.
- The week ends with a group presentation to parents and supporters sharing participant experience and reflection.
Phase 2 - Long Term Mentoring
- After completing the week long program, participants will have the opportunity to gain a mentor for further career development and/or enter in to available internships.
- Partnerships with Big Brothers Big Sisters and Ka Ipu Kukui Fellows.
Quick Week Long Program Overview
Day 1 – Introductions, Team Building, Excursion
Day 2 – Excursions
Day 3 – Excursions
Day 4 – Excursions and Presentation Planning
Day 5 – Presentation Day
Day 1: Course Introduction / Local Farming and Water Rights Lesson Plan
9:00 AM: Introduction and team building activities
10:30 AM: Discussion of what will be covered during the week, the sites to be visited, an overview of issues that may be involved, and discuss questions to ask
11:30 AM: Lunch, working on specific site preparation questions for the day
1:30 PM: Visit farms to learn about local farming initiatives, challenges with water rights, and
opportunities to grow this fast moving sector
3:00 PM: Meet with professionals in water infrastructure and learn about job opportunities and career paths.
4:30 PM: Return to the Y to review the day’s activities and takeaways
Day 2: Lesson Plan: Healthcare and Mental Health Sector on Maui
9:00 AM: Welcome and recap of Day 1 & Team building activities
9:45 AM: Discussion of what site will be visited this day, and question prep
10:45 AM: Visit Hale Makua to get a grasp of the work they do and the many possible career opportunities in the healthcare industry.
12:00 PM: Lunch
1:00 PM: Meet with varying healthcare workers such as physical therapists, mental health professionals, and doctors and learn the steps into finding a career in these areas of healthcare.
4:00 PM: Return to the Y to review the day’s activities and takeaways
- Health and Medicine
- Social Services
- Small Business
Check Out Our Informational Meeting!!
For more information about the Stay Maui Nui Program, please feel free to contact Ka Ipu Kukui Fellows at [email protected].